Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Our Leader Speaks to YOU


Have you heard about the plans for President Obama to give a live address that will be piped into our children's classrooms? The Department of Education has bypassed all ordinary channels and is asking principals to allow President Obama this opportunity for unfettered, live access on Tuesday, September 8, 2009.

The official Department of Education announcement can be found here.

A "Menu of Classroom Activities" for teachers can be found here.

I think it's a bad idea, inconsistent with the very nature of our Republic. It does not accurately represent the relationship between the President and our citizens, nor the federal government's role in education.

It is creepy -- make all the Big Brother jokes you want, but live political speeches into our schools are indoctrination. And yes, it is proto-fascist -- the American Left is seeking to bring our every aspiration out of the individual and into the public, collective sphere.

Here are some of the questions for students on the teacher's guide the DoE has released:

What do you think the President wants us to do?
Does the speech make you want to do anything?
Are we able to do what President Obama is asking of us?
What would you like to tell the President?
I suppose there are many who will say we are being alarmist. But I intend to do my part to preserve America as a nation of individuals, individuals who join together only to protect our individual rights. Government should do a small number of things and do them very well (such as provide for the common defense, law and order, and infrastructure)-- and should operate in constant fear of the electorate.

I have already emailed my children's principal. I want to look back on this event and feel that I did the right thing for me and my house. One way or another, my family will not be participating on Tuesday. I encourage others to do the same.

No comments: