Saturday, October 30, 2010

I Don't Like German Shepherds

I don't like german shepherds. They are beautiful, but I've had too many sketchy close calls with them. When I was a kid, one ran up to me from someone's yard and bit my little kid thigh. It was "probably something I did to freak him out." That's what they always say, isn't it?

When my wife and were visiting friends at their nice house in about 1994, the friends had a huge german shepherd.

(Disclosure: I'm already chapped at this point because I don't like it when people have a big dog, let him have the run of the house, and then when they have guests let him mill around like he owns the place. Seriously. If you are reading this and you do that, then there are a significant number of us out here that are talking about you behind your back. And we are making eyes at each other when we attend your parties).

Anyway, the dog kept on just coming up to us and being a nuisance. The owner kept talking to him like he was a human and telling him to behave. I was thinking "Put this thing in the back yard and be done with it. He can't talk." Before it was over, he completely freaked out from across the room and jumped on my wife, who is 5 feet tall, and weighed about 90 pounds. He barked loudly and toppled her, but he didn't bite before they got him off.

They said he had never done that, and "he probably could sense she was afraid of him." Oh, that's a great reason.

1 comment:

Jerry said...

Greetins Jay! You like golden retrievers? German Shepherds are golden retrievers that lack naivete. Untrained, they probably aren't going to be good at parties particularly where there are a lot of "strangers". I suspect if you had one, and seen how it reacts with your family and close friends however, you might change your tune. Untrained, they're sorta like lawyers...its not that you dont like them...its that you dont like the one belonging to the other guy.